Monday, June 26, 2006

knight vs king

The old cliche says, "If you love somebody, set him/her free." Is it really a show of how much you love a person when you set him/her free? As a pragmatist, I would say, it depends on the situation. When there isn't really a chance of you to be together, there's no reason for you to still hold on. Like when your loved one migrates to another part of the world and you know there is no chance for you to go and follow her. Like when your loved one is already married. Like when your loved one has just died. In these situations, there's no choice but to let go.

You need to hold on and fight when a 'villain' is just just there to break your relationship. Or when the loved one is only temporarily transferred to another area in the country because of work. Or when you had a quarrel over the lady love's dress.

However, the dreamer in me says that every situation is worth a fight (well, except death and when the loved one wants his/her freedom.) But, of course, there is a time when you really have to let go. I would want my man to fight for me as bravely as I would fight for him. I prefer a warrior or a knight who can fight for me, than a king who can shower me with riches but will think first before fighting for me (if it's for the betterment of the kingdom or it can bring his rule down). A knight/warrior only has me and his principles to fight for. A king has other matters more important than me; he has a kingdom to worry about. I'm not wondering why Guenevere chose Lancelot over King Arthur. Of course, I want a guy who can tell me, "I'll take care of your worries," than a guy who who would tell me, "I'm here to make you smile and forget your troubles."

Maybe I'm too much of a dreamer to yearn for that "knight in shining armor". I want someone who will only let me go after a good fight.

No comments: